Saturday, August 20, 2016

Wikipedia Trail: from Bunnies to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders

Hi, all!

So I took ventured into @OnlineCrsLady's twitter and I found this tweet and I was inspired to look up "how to train rabbits" on wikipedia. That google search landed me here.
Apparently, you can house-train bunnies to do their business in a litter box!

Here's a rabbit sharing an apple with his owner :-)

As I read further on that article, the pre-medical student in me discovered Malocclusion. This is the misalignment between the top and bottom teeth when they approach each other when the jaw closes. This can present in any species with teeth! 

Rabbit presenting with Malocclusion.

In this article, it explains why Malocclusion may occur, which includes nail biting, or onychophagia. This is a super common habit- 45% of teenagers engage in nail biting! I thought this article was really interesting and also super gross.

Finally, I checked out the wikipedia page over the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. I had studied this briefly as I was studying for the MCAT, but not in depth. I am glad I got to dive further into these topics!!

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment