Thursday, August 25, 2016

Feedback thoughts

Hi, all!

In the article titled "5 Tips For Taking Feedback Like a Champ" (access here), I learned that it is okay to not love to be criticized- and that it is normal to feel uncomfortable. The only way to grow is to get out of your comfort zone! By being flexible and growing, you can continue to reach your full potential. It is important to remember the intentions behind the people giving you feedback- usually it is positive and helpful, not malicious and detrimental. I really enjoyed this article!

"Why rejection hurts so much- and what to do about it" is another great article (access here) about dealing with negative feedback. I believe the best tip for me that came from this article is to not accept self-criticism. I am my biggest critic, according to my mother, and I always push myself to great limits to see what I'm made of. While this is usually a great thing, sometimes I'm too hard on myself and it actually hurts me, rather than help me.

I really appreciated the message in this picture- you could be giving it your all and still face rejection. It is important to keep pushing, and eventually the wall that you've been hitting will fall. This is an important reminder for me as I am applying to medical school!
(source here)

"Presence, Not Praise: How To Cultivate a Healthy Relationship with Achievement" (access here) is a great article about how to give criticism with positive intention. When I used to request allowance money from my mom for doing my chores, she would always reply with, "why would I reward something that you are supposed to do anyway?". This always resonated with me, especially in college. I knew that if I really wanted to achieve something great, I would have to do more than the bare minimum- I would truly have to go above and beyond the norm. I believe giving this type of encouragement is beneficial for someone's growth process.

"Be a Mirror: Give Readers Feedback That Fosters a Growth Mindset" is the final article I read about giving feedback (access here). I think it is important to take yourself out of the feedback- because the end goal is not that they please you, it should be that they are pleasing themselves, and therefore fostering a growth mindset. This definitely helps encourage them to constantly better themselves for their own benefit, rather than feel like they need someone else's' approval. 

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment