Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Story Planning:



Source notes:
Shin-ge-bis Fools the North Wind
-fisherman, north wind, south wind
-Indian summer
-diver ignored warnings
+involve poems
-cooked fish, plentiful
-began to thaw North Wind
-wrestled, warmed up North Wind
-cheerfulness and courage overcome

I thought it would be cool to incorporate poems into my next story, as this story had done. I really like Native American culture, and I wanted to do something with their culture and their stories. In this story, Iagoo was an all-knowing storyteller, and I wanted to draw from this.

Research:
I found this on Iagoo- it's basically an adaptation of the original story. In this story, his name is Agoo. Here's a good description I found of him:

"AGOO, the story-teller of the Indians, is a little, old man with a face as black as the shell of the butternut and a body like a twisted stick. His eyes are twice as large as other men's, so that when a bird flies past him he sees twice as many feathers on it, and all the little colors underneath are bright to him. His ears are twice as large as other men's, so that what seems to them but a tiny sound is to him like the roll of thunder. His legs are supple and his arms are strong, so that he can run faster and further, and can lift and carry twice as much as others."

This story is from the Ojibwe. They have one of the largest Native American populations, and they live in Canada and the United States. They have a very rich culture, especially in their music, art, and literature.

Styles: 
I could do strictly poems for this story
+ creative, challenge me
- hard to fit certain aspects into this story, might be hard to reach word limit

Write this from Iagoo's perspective, how he learned these things
+ Could be very adventurous
- Ive done this before

Character Sketches:
Iagoo- wants to tell of his travels and his journies, great story teller
Children- want to soak up everything he teaches, entertainment

Final Paragraph:
And that my children, is how it all went.
Now I must go to bed, for I am surely spent.
I hope that I have answered all of your questions,
I am ready for tomorrow, for our next story session.
Yes, I have traveled far, and seen a lot,
I will tell my stories, so it won't be for naught.

Writing Goals:
I want to expand on my ideas even more. I would also like to further develop my characters, and make them more relatable to the readers.

1 comment:

  1. This is great, Emily! You are the first person to try out this new assignment, and I hope it will be the basis for a fun writing experience next week! And yes, the stories in Larned's book are connected (mostly) with Ojibwa and other northern tribes. He was relying on a book by a man named Schoolcraft, whose wife was Ojibwa! You can read about her here if you are curious: Jane Johnston Schoolcraft- Her Ojibwa name can also be written as O-bah-bahm-wawa-ge-zhe-go-qua (Obabaamwewe-giizhigokwe in modern spelling), meaning "Woman of the Sound [that the stars make] Rushing Through the Sky."

    ReplyDelete