Thursday, October 20, 2016

Story: The Invisible Giant

So, before you understand my story, you need to understand some things about me.
Firstly, I am a giant.
No, really, I'm massive. When I'm standing tall, I'm at least 7 feet taller than the Empire State Building. 
Which I've never actually seen, by the way.
Secondly, I am invisible.
No, really, no one can see me. I've tried to get the attention of people my whole life, to let them know that I'm here to make their lives just a little more tolerable, but to no avail. No one has ever been able to see me.
That isn't to say that they haven't ever sensed me, though.

My whole life, I have wondered where I came from. Did I have a family, like these people that I have been desperately trying to get the attention of for so many years? Did I have a purpose?
I could let all this 'unknowing' make me sour and depressed, but I can't do that. I just can't. 
Not when there are things to be done. 

Have you ever wondered how you usually come this close to hitting squirrels, but always manage to stop in time?
That was me.
Have you ever wondered how sometime you have the perfect amount of change to buy that vending machine Coke for lunch?
That was also me.
Have you ever wondered how you can drop that iPhone onto concrete over and over again, and it only breaks one time out of ten?
That's not that $50 phone case that you ordered on Amazon. That's me.

Now the times that you do hit that poor squirrel, or the times that you don't have that extra 30 cents for that Coke, or when you crack your iPhone after you drop it on carpet, those times I'm helping someone else. I'm j trying to make things a little more fair around here.

I intervene in lives everyday, but I'm never noticed at all. I can tell you that without me, there is a lot more chaos in the world. Getting 'heads' on a coin flip actually doesn't have a probability of 1/2, by the way.

Sometimes, I like to swim the Pacific Ocean and intervene between the sharks and the minnows. Sometimes, for fun, I like to shave icebergs into snow cones. I like to go to Vegas on vacation, and make sure that some people roll their die just right. I like to make people and animals happy, really. Or, at least, make their lives less inconvenienced.

I'm not 'karma' or 'luck' or 'divine intervention' or anything like that. I'm just a regular dude. Kinda. Except for the 'giant' and 'invisible' thing. Whatever.

Anyway, I'm not telling you this for any praise from you. I just want you to know that, while I can't keep every minor inconvenience out of your life, I'm looking out for all of you. 





Author's Note:
In the original story, Alice is an 'invisible' giant to the Red King, and she freaks him out when she lifts him up and puts him on a table.

Bibliography:
From Lewis Carroll's Alice in  Wonderland.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed your story! I like how you gave the giant a voice throughout the story and a sassy voice at that! The basis for your story was also very interesting. There have been several times where I have almost broken my phone or computer and its fun to think about a giant saving it. Overall, great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is really good! It reminds me a lot of like a stand up/slam poetry kind of writing. I think that there are some typos and errors that need to be corrected, just by simply re-reading it a bit slower. I think the voice of the character was really good and the character was very genuinely heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily! I absolutely loved how you made the story in first person! It made it really interesting for me to read and I am sure other people in the class will agree. Also I like the picture that you included. It went really well with your story. Anyways, I think you did a great job and I hope I get to read more of your posts in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great story! I like how you took this part of Alice and Wonderland and made it your own. There was one time I was at the Wichita Mountains doing rock climbing and I dropped my phone from a hight of maybe 30 feet and it landed screen side down on the rocks. It wasn't even scratched! From now on, every time something good happens to me or if I get lucky, I'll be sure to thank the invisible giant.

    ReplyDelete